[Asterisk-Users] Polycom/sip.conf/voicemail configurator

David Gomillion dgomillion at eyecarenow.com
Tue Feb 8 12:56:21 MST 2005

I have just created a very rough (read hack-ish) version of a Polycom
SIP phone configurator.  It allows you to define phones, create
registrations, and such.  By describing stuff about users, I am
attempting to divine what the configuration should be.  This is a VERY
early first step in that direction.

Right now, it:

1. Parses the phone1.cfg file included with whatever version software
you use.
2. Reads the phone and registration entries to determine the file names
to use, create the registrations, create a customized XML file, generate
the sip.conf, and also generate a very basic voicemail.conf file.
3. Generates a random password for both the phone configuration and the
sip.conf file (yes, the SAME random password as appropriate, and yes,
DIFFERENT passwords for each registration)
4. Outputs 2 files per phone: xxxxxxxxxxxx.cfg, and extensionxxxx.cfg,
as well as 3 "global" files: voicemail.conf and sip.conf, and
voicemail.conf

It is not very powerful right now.  It is written wholly in PHP and
MySQL (I did it in an afternoon), except for a piece of shell scripting
to glue it together and move the files around and stuff.

Before I take a couple hours and clean up the code (i.e. remove
passwords)

I have created some shell scripts to kick off the file generation and
then copy the appropriate files where they go.  We close at night, so I
have the flexibility of pushing all of the files out to the server,
sending a reboot to the phones, and reloading Asterisk at night, every
night.  This means each extension will have a new password each day, but
no user will ever know (or need to know) their own password.

If there is sufficient interest, I will clean it up and put the files up
on a server somewhere.  It does not require anything special, but it
will be of most interest to those who know a little about PHP, as the
[general] section of each of the .conf files is hard-coded right now.
I'm planning to put in files that will be parsed, yadda yadda yadda, but
I have enough other things on my plate right now.

Please respond to me directly if you would have interest in this, as a
bunch of "me too"s on the list will do no good but to annoy everyone.
If it works out that there's sufficient interest, I will send a single
announcement to the list, and put an entry on the WIKI.  It only works
for polycom phones, so if you don't use a bunch of them, it probably
won't be worth your time...

Thanks,
David Gomillion