[Asterisk-Users] Polycom screwed up Messages button in 1.4.1?

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Tue Feb 8 11:09:23 MST 2005

I think Polycom has added another feature that nobody wants.

With MWI configured, and a phonexxx.cfg that has this:

    <msg msg.bypassInstantMessage="1">
       <mwi msg.mwi.1.subscribe="" msg.mwi.1.callBackMode="contact"
msg.mwi.1.callBack="XXX" msg.mwi.2.subscribe=...>
    </msg>

Under 1.3.4 and earlier, the phone would immediately connect you to
extension XXX.

Under the 1.4.1 firmware, when you press the messages hard button on
the phone, the phone takes you to a "Messages" screen that tells you
how many new, old, and urgent messages you have - useful, maybe, but
also somewhat redundant if the MWI light is blinking.  You then have to
press a "connect" soft button to actually connect to extension XXX.

1. Has anybody figured out a way around this (i.e. restore the behavior
of immediate connection to extension "XXX"

2. Polycom (and any other phone manufacturers that are reading this):
It has been my experience that users DON'T WANT EXTRA STEPS.  And,
USERS DON'T WANT SOFT BUTTONS.  The more hard buttons with ONE press,
the better.