[Asterisk-Users] SRV lookups

Robert Spielmann spielmann at tal.de
Tue Feb 8 08:40:17 MST 2005

Hi everyone,

I have a question concerning DNS SRV lookups. The situation is like this:

- one central Asterisk server
- many domains with SRV records, let's say we have bar.com and doe.com

Now the question is: if the SRV lookup is done for foo at bar.com the call is
mapped to foo at myasterisk.mydomain.net. Is that correct?

If so, I have a problem: if somebody calls foo at bar.com, Asterisk receives only
the "foo" part. If someone calls john at doe.com, it receives "john" as the
extension. Now the main question is: how do I know which SIP address the call
originally went to?

If I lose the domain name prone to SRV lookup, I can't decide where to route
the call - for example, there may be john at doe.com and john at bar.com, both get
mapped to my central Asterisk server - I'm unable to know which of the john.s
is being called, hence I cannot route the call correctly.

Hope the question is clear enough ;)

TIA,
Robert
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Robert Spielmann
TAL.DE  Klaus Internet Service GmbH  spielmann at tal.de
Robertstr. 6        *      D-42107 Wuppertal, Germany
Tel +49 (0) 202 495-364  *  Fax +49 (0) 202 / 495-399