[Asterisk-Users] SER Interaction: Agents and Extensions

Matthew Boehm mboehm at cytelcom.com
Tue Feb 8 07:43:18 MST 2005

Hey gang,
 I'm trying to work out all possible scenarios using SER & Asterisk in our
upcomming deployment. The example scenario is 50 different customers, all
with different numbers of SIP UAs. All UAs would register with SER; This
will help keep any inter-office conversations off our bandwidth since SER
doesn't handle the RTP stream.

 Calls from PSTN to UA are easy to handle. Asterisk receives the call on Zap
card, and forwards to SER. SER looks up in its alias table which UA to send
it to, and sends it.

 Calls from UA to PSTN are even easier. However, billing comes into question
here. If every SIP call comes "in" to Asterisk from SER, how can I
differentiate one customer from another?

 AFAIK, SER has no notion of 'context'. So, if offices wanted 4 digit
extensions, I would be unable to duplicate any extensions right?

 Onto Agents; Say I setup *80 as the AgentLogin/Logoff number for a
paticular customer. SER passes it on to Asterisk. I'd still have to setup
contexts and agents just like normal right?

 With all of these caveats, it seems to me that a SER->Asterisk solution
isn't that great. If anyone else out there can show me otherwise...

Thanks,
Matthew