[Asterisk-Users] high-quality, high-bandwidth codecs?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Feb 8 06:08:38 MST 2005

Nicolas Bougues wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:26:39PM +0100, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
>

>>hi
>>
>>are there any codecs around that allows high quality as in "studio
>>lite"? it may consume high bandwidth, and hopefully allow some packet
>>loss.
>>

>I'm not sure what "studio lite" means to you. Maybe hard figures would
>be more precise.
>
>G.722 might be interesting : 64 kbps, 7 kHz. It's not free.
>
>Otherwise, MP3 or OGG might be ok ?

G.722 is free, as any patents have expired. G.722.1 and G.722.2 are not
free. They are *much* better, though. G.722 gives quite poor
performance. I'm not sure if that is because of poor design, and a
desire to keep its compute needs in check. Whatever the history, looked
at now it sucks. Vorbis or speex would be much better.

Regards,
Steve