[Asterisk-Users] How to number extensions - Which way is best?

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Mon Feb 7 16:48:22 MST 2005

I'd say, consider your audience (user-base) and let common sense
prevail.

If your user-base is accustomed to business PBXs, they'll already expect
to have to dial a 9 or 7 to "get out".  In that case, number your
extensions any way you like, must avoid that "outside" digit.

Personally, I prefer a "transparent" PBX, and this is my setup:

011... - International calls
1... - NANPA calls
2... - internal extensions
3... - external extensions (SIP/IAX clients)
411 - operator
6... - speed dial
8... - direct trunk access (in my case -- all IAX --, that means it will
set the proper caller-id for outgoing calls)
911 - guess that that's for.

The advantage here is that incoming calls can generally be returned
without any digit-magic, just by selecting a number from the incoming
call-list and pushing Redial or what have you.  Since I use multiple
providers, I have an agi script that "normalizes" this number for me
(http://muware.com/asterisk)

If you have a T1 with a thousand-block of DIDs, I'd recommend
coordinating the extension with the DID#, such that -- 800-555-1234
corresponds to extension 2-1234, and 800-555-4637 can be dialed as
2-4637 internally.  Ditto for voice-mail.

And whatever you decide, make sure that 911 is idiot proof -- allow
calling as 911, 7911, 9911, etc.