[Asterisk-Users] Understanding the "Hint" priority.

Ryan Courtnage ryan-lists at voxbox.ca
Mon Feb 7 09:38:53 MST 2005

Follow up ...

On Sun, 2005-06-02 at 15:45 -0700, Ryan Courtnage wrote:
> I'm trying to get a better understanding of the 'Hint' priority for use
> with Snom phones, etc.
>
> >From the Wiki, I understand that the following will work:
>
>   exten => 200,hint,sip/200
>   exten => 200,1,Dial(sip/200)
>   exten => 201,hint,sip/300
>   exten => 201,1,Dial(sip/201)
>
> When exactly is 'Hint' executed?  After someone dials '200' or '201'?
> Or does the 'hint' priority apply it's magic at dialplan load time?
>
> Suppose I want to dial multiple extensions at once:
>
> exten => 999,1,Dial(sip/200&sip/201)
>
> .. can hint work in this case?  If so, would I simply pass multiple
> channels to hint? ie:

I found a small comment on the wiki that suggested that the
"ExtensionState" manager command can be used to get the state of an
extension _only_if_ "hint" is used for that extension.

Using this, I was able to do some tests and verify that "hint" will work
even when using ring groups (as in above example).

Ryan