[Asterisk-Users] RTC Client (maybe VAD related)

Tim Greiser tgreiser at cedarmountainsoftware.com
Sat Feb 5 12:35:54 MST 2005

Greetings,

I'm trying to create a server-based SIP chatroom (using MeetMe w/
ztdummy), where the clients will be mainly connecting with MS RTC
Clients.  I got the authentication working, but am having a problem
where I can only hear audio when I am also making noise into the
microphone.  This appears to be the VAD/MOH problem mentioned on this
list before.

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2003-October/023542.html

This can be easily duplicated by connecting to the asterisk 'demo'
extension using Windows Messenger (or any RTC Client).  No audio will be
heard until you make noise, and then it will only play for a couple
seconds before cutting off (until you make noise again).

I am aware the standard work-around to this is to disable VAD, however,
with RTC this does not seem to be an option.  When MS is questioned
about it, they usually respond, 'disable VAD .. why would you want to do
that?'.

Can someone confirm that this is the problem I am experiencing?  Are
there any other known work-arounds?

thanks in advance,
Tim Greiser