[Asterisk-Users] Encrypted VOIP?

Nick Bachmann asterisk at not-real.org
Fri Feb 4 19:21:55 MST 2005

timebandit001 at gmail.com wrote:

>If I remeber correctly, Mark Spencer is working on encryption in IAX2

Sort of.  Some IAX encryption code went into CVS a while back, but it
was more of a "talking point" than anything else, meant to give
interested developers a starting point.  The -dev and -security list
archives have some discussion about this.  I don't think there's been
too much continued work on it, but volunteers are always accepted!

For SIP, native encryption should be done through SRTP, which many
people have asked for but nobody has really delivered.  Again, you will
find some good background discussion in the list archives.

Running IAX over stunnel would probably be feasible if both sides of a
tunnel were machines. That's at least a little closer to to native, and
very easy to set up.  However, I don't think that's what you were
looking for... :)

Nick