[Asterisk-Users] BRI in the US?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Fri Feb 4 10:04:10 MST 2005

Michael Graves wrote:

> Does anyone on-list have * running BRI to their local telco? I'm
> considering this as an alternative to my TDM400p card.

I've had BRI at a client site (eight of them in fact, used as trunk
service for a Norstar MICS), but not connected to Asterisk. BRI in the
US is a pain to deal with: their is no number portability into BRI
services (at least in Qwest territory, you can port numbers out,
though), setting up hunting and other advanced features on the telco
side is difficult because they have so few people who understand it...

It could be a useful alternative to analog lines/cards (and maybe even
cheaper), but you're putting yourself in a position of using a product
that the telcos really don't want to sell any longer and have difficulty
supporting well. If it works for you then it will be a very good thing,
but if it doesn't then you'll have a hard time getting it fixed.