[Asterisk-Users] Re: IAX2 Rejected connection attempt (voiptalk.org)

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Fri Feb 4 03:32:15 MST 2005

Mark Benson <mark.benson at iqit.co.uk> wrote:
> Cheers Tony,
>
> That sorted it! - have passed this info onto voiptalk to update their
> help pages
>
> You wouldn't care to add an explanation as to why user works over friend?

Putting friend instead of user would have worked just as well, but been
less obvious. It was peer that didn't work in the [08700nnnnnn] section.

The use of friend is as follows:

If you have two identically-named sections, one of type=peer and the other
of type=user, and there are no entries that are in both with the same name
but different values, then you can combine the sections as type=friend.

When Asterisk wants details for an outgoing call, it looks for a matching
section [whatever] with type=friend or type=peer, and takes the details
from that. When it wants details for an incoming call, it looks for a
matching section [whatever] with type=friend or type=user.

In the case of voiptalk, friend isn't useful unless you name your outgoing
section [08700nnnnnn] and use Dial(IAX2/08700nnnnnn/${EXTEN}). In that
case you could use type=friend, but I think that makes things less clear.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Tony

Tony Mountifield