[Asterisk-Users] OT: How to "own" a telephone number?

Andrew Thompson asteriskuser at aktzero.com
Thu Feb 3 15:59:08 MST 2005

tmassey at obscorp.com wrote:
> OK, then. If a $30/month for a virtual circuit forwarded is as good as it
> gets, then that pays for 600 minutes of toll-free number time at
> $0.05/minute.  On top of the fact that we would like a toll-free number
> anyway, it looks like there is almost no reason to keep a "permanent"
> local number.  We'll just have a permanent toll-free number instead.

> Is providing the ability to assign numbers to people instead of to
> locations really that hard?  Is it really so much easier for Internet
> domains to do it?  Or is this just an oligarchy at work?  :)

I don't think the general populace is ready for that. I know that some
could be, knowing there are like 150+ million cell users in the US, but
it's just too much for some people to process. Plus, it would screw with
all the billing info and rate plans that are already in existance,
contract rates, etc.

I tried convincing my wife that we could cut the cord and go wireless
using our cellphones mainly. I haven't been able to find a provider that
will offer me a DID into asterisk in Rockingham, NC for a decent rate. I
mentioned that I've got a toll-free DID set up already, and that it was
really cheep, she just kind of shrugged, said she didn't think people we
knew would call it.

PS: If you can offer me a DID off of Level3's 910-817 block for a
reasonable price, contact me offlist.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/