[Asterisk-Users] OT: How to "own" a telephone number?

Peter Bowyer peeebeee at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 12:13:48 MST 2005

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:02:03 +0100, Stefan Gofferje
<stefan at gofferje.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Maybe you have something like that too, where your customers don't pay
> too much and you don't pay too much. A nice side effect is that nobody
> will ever know that your companies HQ is in a lonely little village in
> the middle of nowhere because everybody thinks "they have a service no.
> they must be huge"...

Actually, when I see those I think "they must be a small company
pretending to be a big company. Why should I pay more to call them
just because they want to hide behind a non-geographic number?".

Here in the UK (and I guess, elswhere), NGNs are a scam. The top-line
cost is the same as either a local or national call (OK so far), but
they don't qualify for discounts and don't count in inclusive or
unlimited packages, so actually they're much more expensive than a
standard geographic number.

On the flipside, if you generate enough call minutes inbound you can
get revenue share out of them. But that's for the big guys.....

Peter