[Asterisk-Users] Re: load balancing 20 asterisk servers

Mark Musone mmusone at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 08:36:27 MST 2005

Don't confuse load balacing with failover. They are quite different
beasts and are handled differently. (sure, they can be "combined" into
one solution, but they are still effectively very different)

Round Robin DNS based load balancing is still a viable load balancing
solution (read some of the early Netscape white papers compaing round
robin DNS to "intelligent" load balancers, the results were almost
identical if not BETTER with round robin DNS.)

As far as the failover part, all thats needed is a simple IP Address
takeover. nowadays, ip address takeovers is VERY simple. change an ip
address, possibly add a proxy arp, and clear the arp cache (or send a
garp packet)

I'm not necessarially saying this is or should be the solution for
this specific problem, i havent really spent any time thinking about
SIP. i'm just suggesting a possible easy solution, what people are
saying, using SER to redirect to an asterisk server (thats the load
balancing piece), and then simple IP Takeover for failover (why buy an
expensive cisco box for doing something as easy as ARP)

-Mark