[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk crashes from time to time

Hecken, Guido guido.hecken at gwsnettech.de
Thu Feb 3 06:20:55 MST 2005

Hello List,

we have 3 Asterisk boxes running under Fedora Core 2. Every box
hangs/crashes from time to time.
These installations are image based, means we made an image from our
testserver with an image tool, which is able to manage ext3 partitions and
deployed it to different server hardware.
These servers run very stable and I could not find any failures in the logs.
As these crashes appeared the first time, I thought rebooting these machines
by cronjob every night at 04:00 would solve the problems. It seemed to work
quite well for a couple of weeks. Today I saw our own asterisk production
server crash :-( .
These crashes are always the same, asterisk stops responding, the cli does
not give any reaction on command input, you have to manually kill -9 all
asterisk and moh processes.
Asterisk logs are empty.

We don't use any isdn/fxs/fxo/e1/t1 cards in these servers.
Our connections to PSTN is only made by Patton/Inalp SmartNode Gateways,
connected to asterisk via sip protocol.
Scince these crashes appear on three servers with different hardware, and
the main installation is always the same, I would think there are "only" two
possible sources to find the failure:

Operating System Fedora Core 2 Kernel 2.6.8-1.521
Asterisk CVS-HEAD-01/08/05

Has anybody out there similar problems, and if yes, how did he fix them?
Is there any working solution, having asterisk control itself perhaps by
using a script that drops a test call in /var/spool/asterisk/outgoing and if
this call wasn't processed successfull the script stops all running asterisk
and moh processes and restarts asterisk?

Any help would be appreciated, since "I can't get no sleep with these
timebombs out there" ;-)

Guido Hecken