[Asterisk-Users] Re: load balancing 20 asterisk servers

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Wed Feb 2 23:45:31 MST 2005

On Feb 3, 2005, at 4:20, Matthew Boehm wrote:

> I'm trying to stay away from a software based load balancer cause what
> happens if that server fails?
> Its far less likely for a piece of dedicated hardware to fail than an
> actual
> computer.

There are useful things like "heartbeat" which can transparently fail
over from one machine to the next. They even take the IP address of the
failed machine. A professional setup would have redundancy built in
that way. I have run extremely busy load balancers that way and in the
failover case everything is back to normal within seconds.

jens