[Asterisk-Users] Enhancing performance and utility of an Asterisk machine

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Feb 2 13:23:27 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 18:51 +0100, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> >> 6b- More than 50 calls VoIP to POTS/T1/E1 will kill an * box due to
> >> excesive transcoding??????
> >> 6bb- unless using quad machines, plenty of RAM and DSP cards?????
> >
> > The max number of calls is something that's not really a hard-and-fast
> > number. There's been numerous discussions regarding *'s "upper limit"
> > of connections, check the previous postings to this list for more
> > info.
> >
> > Again, it depends on a lot of different variables, like what the * box
> > is doing, how many AGIs it's running, whether or not you're doing
> > extensive DB stuff.
> >
> > Generally speaking, you won't go wrong with a box that's beefy in
> > terms of RAM.
>
> Exactly what is it that is RAM demanding in Asterisk? A database server
> should be separate box anyway....

Asterisk doesn't use very much RAM itself, but any swapping could
destroy call quality. My 2 main asterisk machines that are in production
only have 256 megs and perform just fine. All newer machines are getting
512meg or more but it is mainly because of the cost is negligible to do
the upgrade now.