[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7940 [SIP], DTMF and Voicemail

Doug Lytle support at drdos.info
Wed Feb 2 08:41:07 MST 2005

Derek Conniffe wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd say this question has come up and been answered before but I
> haven't been able to find it.
>
> I have a Cisco 7940 that I've upgraded to SIP firmware (currently
> P0S-3-06-3-00 - for some reason there was a failure when trying to
> upgrade to V7 so  I  left it at V6).

Derek,

I found this in the comments field on the wiki, hope this helps on your
upgrade, it did for me,

"I got the same error upgrading from 6.2 to 7.3. It asked for the same
files and then got the error invalid protocol whatever. Someone else
with these phones gave me the solution.

When you upgrade the firmware you need to have the image_version number
in 2 files. The os79xx file and the sipdefault file. In all previous
upgrades the version was exactly the same example P0S30203 in the
OS79XX.txt and image_version P0S30203 in the sipdefault.cnf file.
However when upgrading to 7.3 you need 2 different names. in OS79XX.txt
you need to write P003-07-3-00 and P0S3-07-3-00 in SIPDefault.cnf then
you just need the 4 files in the TFTP server directory,
P003-07-3-00.bin, P003-07-3-00.sbn, P0S3-07-3-00.loads, P0S3-07-3-00.sb2.

Also if you are upgrading for the 1st time to the inital version
P0S30203 and it doesn't work, you make have an error in the status
messages section of the phone about a buffer overflow. This can be
solved by deleting everything out of sipdefault.cnf except for the
image_version: P0S30203 line. Once you have loaded the firmware you can
add all the other stuff. This is some buffer overflow error that doesn't
let the phone download a file that is over a certain kb in size.

Damian "