[Asterisk-Users] Soft phones that _actually_ work under Linux?

Bruno Hertz brrhtz at yahoo.de
Tue Feb 1 16:21:57 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 07:12 +1100, Howard Lowndes wrote:
> Surely there has to be one soft phone that works under Linux.
>
> I've tried:
> kphone - it sometimes complains about the need to release the sound
> device
> linphone - sssssssslllllllllooooooooowwwwwww
> iaxcomm - needs some strange widgets
> various others - either only supplied as binaries, or just plain don't
> work, or won't compile.
>
> Is there just one out there that is guaranteed to work with adequate
> performance with FC2 or FC3.  I don't mind whether its SIP or IAX2 - I
> just need it to _work_.

Sounds familiar. For me (FC3) the best option is gnomemeeting, which is
still H323 only though (SIP support is underway). I have it working
with */oh323, and the whole setup is very satisfying, i.e. robust, low
latency, good sound quality.

Still, if you need to register things might get messy, i.e. involving
a gatekeeper and stuff. Since I have an * 'proxy' in my home LAN I
don't need that stuff, cause I can set up the dial plan as needed.

Regards, Bruno.