[Asterisk-Users] Re: Fax Support

LJ LJ.Shields at Verizon.net
Sat Dec 31 15:45:50 MST 2005

I was able to get spandsp "spandsp-0.0.2pre21.tar.gz" working in 1.2.1, but
you must manually copy the patch changes over to the Makefile in the
\usr\src\asterisk\apps directory.  I followed the following directions found
by googling "asterisk spandsp".

=======

Make sure libtiff is installed on your machine. Versions 3.5.7, 3.6.0 and
3.7.1 seem to work OK. There have been several bugs related to FAX document
handling in some recent versions of libtiff. Also, some people have had
trouble using spandsp because they had more than one version of libtiff on
their machine. Take care with this. You will also need libxml2 installed.
The FAX facility does not use this, but some other parts of spandsp do. If
you are using an RPM based system, such as RedHat or Fedora, you will need
the libtiff, libtiff-devel, libxml2 and libxml2-devel RPMs installed.

Use the usual:

./configure

make

make install

process to build the spandsp library. Note that if you use configure in this
way, the software will be installed in /usr/local. In this case make sure
your /etc/ld.so.conf file has an entry for /usr/local/lib and then run
'ldconfig' command.

Next, put app_rxfax.c, app_txfax.c and Makefile.patch in your Asterisk apps
directory. Use the command:

patch <Makefile.patch

within the apps directory, to patch your make file so it will build the new
application. If the patching process fails, don't be too surprised. The
patch file was generated for a specific revision of Asterisk, and things
change. It would be difficult to produce a completely generic patch. If you
look through the patch, and the Makefile, I think most people should be able
to work out what is needed. Now rebuild and install Asterisk.  (I had to
manually insert the +lines data from the patch to the Makefile, and be sure
to observe TABs as space char are not acceptable and halted the compiler.)

Now if you put something like:

exten => 1234567,1,rxfax(/home/steveu/testfax.tif)

in your Asterisk extensions.conf file, a call to "1234567" should invoke the
fax facility, to receive a fax to the file /home/steveu/testfax.tif.
Alternatively:

exten => 1234567,1,txfax(/home/steveu/testfax.tif)

in your Asterisk extensions.conf file will cause a call to "1234567" to
invoke the fax facility to send the file /home/steveu/testfax.tif to a
calling fax machine. When sending a fax it is more likely you will be
calling out to the remote FAX machine. In this case, make your Asterisk call
the far FAX machine, and when it answers do:

exten => 1234567,1,txfax(/home/steveu/testfax.tif|caller)

The addition of "|caller" will make txfax act as a calling machine, rather
than an answering machine.