[Asterisk-Users] Semi-OT: porting numbers away

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Dec 31 12:54:44 MST 2005

Andrew Kohlsmith writes:
> An interesting wrinkle I'm running against is that you cannot port numbers
> from a cellular carrier to a landline.  i.e. I can't port my cell # to a DID
> on my PRI.  I am not sure if this is just a line of bullshit fed to me from
> Bell Mobility (Canadian CDMA carrier) but I've not had the time to really dig
> in.  They claim that between cell carriers numbers are portable but not from
> cell to landline.

Some will do it, other will not. Key point is that they're not required
to do so (by the FCC in the U.S., at least).

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/NumberPortability/

Interestingly, this official FAQ doesn't even contemplate porting from
wireless to wireline.

I have had Speakeasy VOIP decline to port my personal number because it
was originally a cell number (from Verizon Wireless).

However, Vonage did port it -- though it took them 3 months to do it.
And, more recently, Broad Voice got it from Vonage, though it took them
6 months.