[Asterisk-Users] GXP-2000 any good with * ?

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Fri Dec 30 19:07:23 MST 2005

On 20:25, Fri 30 Dec 05, Tom Vile wrote:
> I see,  I am not using skinny but maybe I should give it a try.  Why
> is it better than the SIP image?

There are several reasons why it's better.

1. It's a lot faster. the phone menus are more responsive
and a restart is done in less then half the time a SIP image
takes.
2. The XML support is better. SIP doesn't support 100% of
the documented XML and SCCP/Skinny does.
3. the hinting system works like a real hinting should work,
look at the images on the page I posted in my previous mail
4. the TFTP config file is plain XML, no more special
program to convert the txt config into some weird binary
file.
5. speeddial/hinting is working when provisioned from TFTP.
when using sip you have to config them on the phone to work
at all.

There are some drawbacks of course.
The callforwarding stuff works not as smooth in the SCCP
version. It works great, but setting callforward works like
this:
make a call to the number you want to forward to. While it's
ringing hit CFWD[ALL|BUSY] to activate it.
This is the only annoying thing I noticed with the SCCP
image. the 5 point above (and they are just what I
experienced) make up for that 100%.

Dont know if sip supports this, but the softkey "toVM"
actually works in the SCCP image, I never got it to work in
the SIP image. this would add number 6 to the list above.

There're prolly more reasons why SCCP is better.
Stefan Gofferje and Sergio can prolly give you more reasons.

Greetz and a happy newyear.
--
Michiel van Baak
http://michiel.vanbaak.info