[Asterisk-Users] Semi-OT: porting numbers away

gw at adcomcorp.com gw at adcomcorp.com
Fri Dec 30 18:28:50 MST 2005

Hello All,
This is in fact some of the best information I have been looking for
regarding porting.

An example is this, I have my primary local numbers on BRI.  I also have
a number of toll free's with a normal ld provider.  What I am doing
right now is pointing my toll-free's to a teliax number.  I have been
very happy with the service Teliax provides, although I wish they were
not using cogent as I get about an 80ms ping from NY > Colorado.

The thing here is, I am considering porting some numbers over to
teliax(212 numbers, premium 800), not my primary's, but still numbers I
wish to advertise(over 8k/year).  Naturally after advertising I would
always want to be certain I can maintain those numbers.

If for any reason, teliax were to have issues (bankruptcy, etc), what
would happen to these numbers that I may have originally ported?

In the case of toll-free, would it be possible to port those numbers to
another provider relatively easily?

In the case of conventional numbers, would it be possible to port those
numbers to another provider, or even back to the local provider?

I do not know the legislation, but if a provider simply does not respond
to a port request, does it get automatically approved after like 30
days, or simply nothing happens?

The real question here is, if they were to have issues, how would there
upstream provider react?  Would they allow re-assignment of those
numbers to another downstream provider, or would they just dump them
into a pool and all of my numbers be lost? ( in my case level3 I
believe)

I currently ported my personal numbers to teliax, but that is not an
issue if something were to happen.  On the business side however, it is
an issue.

Naturally no provider will provide a disclaimer that says 'if we go
under, you are protected', because it makes them sound flaky.  But in
the business voip market, this can be very important.

Of course I trust the local CO will never go under while I am in
business, but with any technology company, since they are not regulated
in the same fashion, does anyone have an idea to what would possibly
happen?  Being down for a few days is not the end of the world, but
losing a premium 800 number for example can be disastrous.

Of course I know the best solution, keep the toll-free on a normal
provider, but there are upsides to using teliax (especially now with
cidname), and it doesn't make much sense to pay for the same service
twice.  The locals can be an important thing though.  I think this is
one of the issues that is effecting the transition of businesses to
VOIP.  I myself have usually suggested against VOIP as a primary in the
business market because of these issues, and aimed more for a hybrid
approach as well, even when connected via T1 or T3.

Thr tough thing is, no company is going to reliably disclose whether
they are profitable or not, and that information can be key.

On a side note, I have had customers go from Verizon landline >
cablevision > Verizon landline, apparently without too many problems.

Also another off-topic question, does anyone know if it is possible to
port a teliax/level3 number away from teliax/level3?  Such as onto a
cell or to another level3 customer?

Regards,
Greg