[Asterisk-Users] Semi-OT: porting numbers away

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Dec 30 12:52:09 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 13:33 -0600, Ross C wrote:
> Thanks Matt.
> Are there limitations with call forwarding?  For example, with Teliax's pay
> as you go plan you can have a whole bunch of simultaneous calls (we had 12
> going the other day).  So say we get 10 or 12 calls on our telco number that
> forwards to Teliax, is there a limit to the number of forwarded calls going
> on at once?  Or does the telco hand-off the call to Teliax, then the telco
> is no longer involved in that call?  I just don't want call forwarding to
> defeat the purpose of going with an ITSN or limit my capabilities.

Depends on your carrier.  I have gotten 99 forwards off an analog line
(which had no features so it was less than $10/mo).  The telco refused
to forward more than 99 concurrent calls ...  Sometimes its all in who
you ask.

> Also, do I need to have an actual physical analog line to use call
> forwarding?  I have two numbers that I would like to forward, but I really
> only need one POTS line that would be used by outgoing stuff (911, credit
> card machines, etc).  So could I have 123-4567 forward to Teliax#987-6543
> and 123-4568 forward to Teliax#987-6542, but only have one actual POTS line?
> Or is this heavily dependent on the telco doing the forwarding?

Some carriers will forward without a line others wont.  You may need to
pick and choose if  that is what you want.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378