[Asterisk-Users] Semi-OT: porting numbers away

Julio Arruda jarruda-asterisk at jarruda.com
Fri Dec 30 08:24:21 MST 2005

Since the last hurricane (that left me without phone for around 3 weeks
or so), I did the call forwarding (remote call forwarding in fact).
Lucky I was running in the cable modem in a couple of days (power restored).
I was planning in having two DIDs in distinct providers (I've been using
them for outbound in BYOD contracts), and keep the "POTS number" in the
more stable one.
But I'm still concerned with the 911 issue.
Is the POTS telco (Bellsouth in South Florida in my case) mandated to
provide 911 in a "ported line" ? I'm not that confident in using 911 via
the ITSP.