[Asterisk-Users] What is the best Dell Machine for Asterisk?

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Thu Dec 29 03:43:05 MST 2005

On 29 Dec 2005, at 01:02, William Boehlke wrote:

> The 830s are nice but limited because they do RAID on a card and
> have but
> one suitable PCI slot. So you can have an interface card or RAID,
> but not
> both.

That's not true. I just built a system on a Dell 830 with the RAID
card. There are three PCI slots in total and one of them fit the
Eicon DIVA Server card I'm using.

I've been using Dell rackmounts at work for years now and never had
any issues. This is the first time I went for a tower server, there
is no rack at home...  The box isn't entirely noise-free, but
compared to the equivalent rackmount models it is very quiet, you
could call it "pantry-friendly" as opposed to "living room-friendly".

The machine runs CentOS 4.2 (RHEL 4.2 with the VIN numbers scraped
off) and Asterisk 1.2.1 with chan_capi. Granted, I'm not a heavy
user, but I like the voice quality I'm getting.

jens