[Asterisk-Users] Re: What setup

John Crew jcrew20 at go2netmail.com
Wed Dec 28 23:26:24 MST 2005

Sorry, let me clarify.  I have more information
 from the owner now.  Only an AT&T Classic Mail
voicemail system broke.  The AT&T Merlin 820D key
system is still working fine.

So, temporarily I have voicemail service from my
carrier.

In the meantime, I want to look at the cost of
switching out my phone systems with Asterisk.

I need:
-6 phones and 5 lines to one business.
-5 phones and 4 lines to another business

I have:
-AT&T Merlin 820D control unit key system with
Merlin phones
-AT&T Merlin 510A1 control unit key system with
Merlin phones
-1 working AT&T Classic Mail voicemail system
-1 broken AT&T Classic Mail voicemail system

System Setup (my carrier told me):
Cisco IAD 2420
Analog (currently; I believe we have local loop)
or Digital T1
Distribution Panel
FXS out to phones (through PBX currently)

So, what hardware do I need for the Asterisk box?
 Will my Merlin phones work with Asterisk or do I
need to swap them out?  What inputs and outputs
do I need, assuming I can re-use my Merlin
handsets?  Do I need a T1 card if my carrier has
that built into the Cisco box?  My carrier tells
me my PBX only needs FXS connections for the
phones from the Cisco box.  Is this correct?
Anyone know?

Sent by Go2net Mail!