[Asterisk-Users] What setup

Ross C wotech at cox.net
Wed Dec 28 10:28:14 MST 2005

John,

I just switched from an old Merlin system myself!  (haven't looked back).
I was in the same situation as you (Windows server sysadmin with minimal
*nix experience).

Here's the setup I have currently in production:

-Custom built server: Gigabyte motherboard with AMD Sempron 2800+ (I think),
1GB ram, 80GB IDE hard drive.  Built for around $400.

-Digium TDM04B in the server--supports 4 analog POTS lines (regular analog
phone lines).  If you have more lines, I think the 'preferred method' is to
get a T1 or channel bank, then put a Digium T1 card in the server (instead
of having a bunch of TDM04B's to connect on the analog lines).

-19 Grandstream GXP-2000's (cheap and work well)
-2 Polycom 601's (for the executives who think they need fancier _looking_
phones)
-2 UTStarCom F1000's (uses WiFi; for myself and the custodian)

When we changed phone systems, I made the decision to scrap all the analog
phones and just replace them with the GXP-2000's.  For ease of
administration, I wanted to 'do it right' and not have a mish-mosh of analog
and SIP phones.  In our situation, it wasn't that much more money (the
GXP-2000's are pretty inexpensive) and ensures everyone has the features
they need.

I have to confess....I have all my stuff running on Asterisk at home.  I know
I'll get flamed for saying this, because I know I should probably use
Asterisk a-la-carte, but Asterisk at home is so easy I just couldn't resist!!
I setup a system at my house first using this tutorial:
http://mundy.org/blog/index.php?p=81
Then Googled and customized from there.  Are you looking to get rid of both
Merlin systems?  I think after you get Asterisk setup at the one location,
everyone else on the other Merlin system will get jealous :P   The
telecommuters love the remote capabilities of VOIP (using a softphone or the
like) to work from home just like they're at work.

Music on hold and auto-attendants are super easy to setup using
Asterisk at home and/or AMP.  Asterisk at home comes with music on hold by
default.  Browse through that tutorial above; it has all the commonly used
features spelled out in 1,2,3 steps.

I haven't been at this for too terribly long and I'm by no means an expert
or anything, but I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.

-ross