[Asterisk-Users] Maximizing audio quality

Wolfgang Borgon wborgon at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 27 23:33:21 MST 2005

I'm trying to understand how to maximize the quality of audio  delievered from my asterisk server through a 3rd-party PSTN termination  to a mobile phone.

  As far as I know the codec, network quality, and original sound file are the main factors -- are there others?

  In regards to the sound file, are particular formats preferred -- i.e.  RAW, GSM, WAV, MP3?  Based on what I've seen so far, the sound in  the GSM files provided with Asterisk are a little soft, but at least  smooth.  A RAW file I created after converting from MP3 and WAV,  sounded raspy.   Does anyone have any tips for creating the  best quality voice recordings?

  If my questions are answered elsewhere, please point me in that direction.
  Thank you!