[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk lines go into PBX?

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Tue Dec 27 12:47:36 MST 2005

Doug,

You might also check out the wiki.  There is a great deal of information
regarding the connection of Asterisk to "legacy" systems.  I wrote the one
on connecting to an NEC NEAX 2400.  Here's the main wiki page:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk

Here's the page for connecting to other PBX's:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+legacy+integration

Hopefully your PBX is listed.  Some things to consider when connecting
Asterisk to a PBX:

Analog or digital?

Will Asterisk be "line side" or "station side"?  In other words, from the
point of view of the PBX, will the connection(s) coming from Asterisk be CO
lines or PBX extensions?

Each choice has its advantages and disadvantages.  The Asterisk community
will be happy to help you answer your questions.  Would you mind posting
some more information on what you'd like to do with Asterisk and your
existing system?  Also, could you tell us which PBX you are using (Nortel,
Avaya, NEC, Panasonic, etc.) and what kind of interfaces card(s) you have?
I'm an NEC guy but there are lots of other PBX guys for all sorts of PBXs
out there.

Enjoy Asterisk!  It's a whole new world, let me tell you.

-MC