[Asterisk-Users] Cisco PGW-2200 OR Asterisk

Markku Korpi markku at korpi.de
Mon Dec 26 16:12:54 MST 2005

Abdul Lateef wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need your golden openion about to set an VoIP
> softswitch. We decided to set Asterisk either Cisco
> PGW-2200 SS7/C7 PTSN SoftSwitch.
>
> Till now i am not fimiliar with cisco but Asterisk i
> did well configuration.
>
> My question is: Which will reliable to handel more
> than 600 cuncurent call with all kinds feature like
> CallBack,Calling Card,SS7 etc...

You can expand your Asterisk installation with SS7 and combine it with
existing addon applications, such as the ones you mention.
In order to handle more 600 concurrent calls (or more...) you can
install multiple SS7 gateways in parallel in load sharing mode and route
traffic to/from your Asterisk node(s) over IAX2.

> I don't mean about the cost because Asterisk is open
> source and cisco is commercial, just i need to know
> which one will be better and why?

With Asterisk you already have a hybrid of softswitch and "a real
switch". With Asterisk you can implement fault tolerant, distributed
network(s), where you do not need centralized softswitches at all.
Another unbeatable advantage of Asterisk based solution is that it gives
you the flexibility to implement tailored applications for your
customers. You will not be bound to a single vendor. If you already have
Asterisk installation, you already know how to do it. Additionally you
can already today expand it easily with SS7. However, the dealing with
SS7 is a non-trivial matter and Telcos do not like experimenting with
their SS7 Network. For this reason we have made the Cosini LIBISUP to a
commercial Asterisk addon package, where we take the responsibility for
installation, configuration, approval testing and maintenance of the SS7
connectivity. You can contact me offline for further details.

Markku