[Asterisk-Users] RE: how to make contribution in asterisk

Tejas Shah tejas705 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 26 06:04:11 MST 2005

 hi all,

              I am a newbie in asterisk. I am doing my project on implementing "VoIP gateway".I installed asterisk 1.0.7 on Debian. This package was available in Debian-Sarge.
 For this implementation i choose asterisk.I just bought digitnetworks X100P PSTN card. I have some queries :

 1)For this project purpose, Is this card suitable and enough? i m just going to download 3-4 soft IP phones. Since this card has only one FXO port, I think with this i can get PSTN call on my soft IP phones and also i can make call from any soft IP phones to analog phone. whether i m thiking in right direction or not?

 2) After installation of this card i will go for simple dialplan structure to confirm how this VoIP gateway works.Since i m new to asterisk, By doing this i will get better idea abt asterisk. Am i doing right?

 3) Since i m doing my project work, i have to show some implementation which should be my own. I heard about Asterisk Gateway Interface (AGI). So  by using  AGI what can i develop?
 since it uses PERL,PYTHON,PHP for development, which shd i go for. As all three are new for me. Which will be fast and easy to learn?

 4)I think other option available for me is to do some modifications in the source code? How much time it  will require to analyse and understand the asterisk code? I m not so much comfortable with C programming. So whether it will be be suitable to go for this modification? how much time will be reuired to understand the code? (probable time in days). Or i shd go for AGI?

 5) Are there some other options available with which i can show that i have worked with asterisk and developed something new, so that i can showit as my project work?

 suggestions frm all asterisk users are most welcome...........

 thanks