[Asterisk-Users] newbie question about making outbound call

Jason D. Wolfe jason_d_wolfe at comcast.net
Sun Dec 25 11:07:43 MST 2005

Hello,

Somehow I've missed something here, so hopefully I'll be able to provide
enough of my setup to get some help.  I feel I'm very close to getting
it, but missing something none the less...

1. I have a digium TDM400 with (2) FXO modules on channel 3 and 4 hooked
to two POTS lines.
2. I have the following entry in zapata.conf file:

usecallerid=yes
hidecallerid=no
callwaiting=no
threewaycalling=yes
transfer=yes
echocancel=yes
echotraining=yes
callprogress=no
context=incoming
signalling=fxs_ks
channel=>4

3. I have the following entry in extensions.conf

[callAgent]
exten=>outbound,1,Dial(Zap/4/phonenumber)   ;where phonenumber is a 10
digit number
exten=>outbound,n,Playback(access-code) ; just for the sake of doing
something!

4. I am using Asterisk Java Manager AGI OriginateAction with the
following code in a jsp page running on a  tomcat server:

//manageAGI
ManagerConnection managerConnection;
ManagerConnectionFactory factory;
OriginateAction originateAction;
ManagerResponse originateResponse;

factory = new ManagerConnectionFactory();
managerConnection = factory.getManagerConnection("192.168.1.4","jason",
"nosaj111");

  // connect to Asterisk and log in
        managerConnection.login();

        originateAction = new OriginateAction();
        originateAction.setAsync(true);
        originateAction.setChannel("Zap/4");
        originateAction.setContext("callAgent");
        originateAction.setExten("outbound");
        originateAction.setPriority(new Integer(1));
        originateAction.setTimeout(3000);

        originateResponse =
managerConnection.sendAction(originateAction, 30000);

6. when I execute the jsp page, I watch the console started with
/usr/sbin/asterisk -cvvvvvvvvvv
and I get the following message (I substituted phonenumber in for the 10
digit number again)

*CLI>   == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/manager.conf': Found
  == Manager 'jason' logged on from 192.168.1.3
       > Channel Zap/4-1 was answered.
    -- Executing Dial("Zap/4-1", "Zap/4/phonenumber") in new stack
Dec 25 10:55:40 NOTICE[3989]: app_dial.c:1010 dial_exec_full: Unable to
create channel of type 'Zap' (cause 0 - Unknown)
  == Everyone is busy/congested at this time (1:0/0/1)
    -- Executing Playback("Zap/4-1", "access-code") in new stack
    -- Playing 'access-code' (language 'en')
  == Manager 'jason' logged off from 192.168.1.3
  == Auto fallthrough, channel 'Zap/4-1' status is 'CHANUNAVAIL'
    -- Hungup 'Zap/4-1'
exten => outbound,1,Hangup()

What I eventually want to accomplish is the following:

I want a web user (using a JSP page I think) to be able to click a
button and cause asterisk to dial outbound on both FXO ports, wait for
an answer, play some files, accept some input, and bridge the two calls
together.

am I on the wrong track?  is there anything that is standing out that I
am just not understanding here?  ANY comments will be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Jason