[Asterisk-Users] New To Asterisk/POTS - Hardware Setup Question

Martin Joseph mercedes at barknaturalpet.com
Sat Dec 24 02:09:01 MST 2005

On Dec 21, 2005, at 10:26 AM, john at cusick.ws wrote:

> Regards to All,
>
> I recently setup an Asterisk system (A at H) and it works like a charm so
> far. It is in a SOHO behind another Linux iptable NAT firewall with no
> problems.
>
> Hopefully this isn't too dumb a question, and its the right place to
> ask it.
>
> The situation is that at this time I have only one incoming PSTN line
> which I have not yet hooked up (I have a single port FXO wildcard
> arriving
> soon for test purposes) which I would like to have available whether
> the
> server is available or not.
>
> I'm thinking that a Sipura or Grandstream analog adapter with PSTN
> passthrough is the solution, but I'm not sure, as I'm new to the whole
> PBX/POTS system. Everything I've seen with passthrough is also a
> router/gateway. Is that necesary and will it work or is there a better
> solution?
>
> For example, we have regular power outages here at my location lasting
> anywhere from 1 minute to two hours and if the system is down I would
> like
> to still have access to local 911 as well as other local numbers.
>
> The obvious thing to do is just unplug one of the phones and plug it
> directly into the POTS line, but I'm hoping there is a product
> available
> that will work with both Asterisk and allow passthrough that will not
> only
> transparent, but be less expensive than setting up a UPS system that
> will
> hold the server up for an hour or so. A UPS to hold up the adapting
> device
> and phone for an extended period would be far cheaper, I think.

The grandstream HT-488 has a single port FXO and a single FXS, and also
a fail over.  So when the power goes off, the phone immediately is
hooked up the old fashioned way, and when the power is on it can be
used as a VOIP handset.  I personally only use the WAN side of this
device and ignore the router and LAN side.

Seems to work OK so far, although sometimes it seems wiggly too... Time
will tell

Marty