[Asterisk-Users] Virtual Memory Usage

Bob Goddard asterisk at bgcomp.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 08:41:57 MST 2005

On Friday 23 Dec 2005 12:59, Rich Adamson wrote:
> > This is another thing: Linux tends to use the availble free memory for
> > IO buffers, disk cache and such. So in the output of 'free', look at the
> > second line.
>
> I'm not the OP, but for those of us that are not considered strong sys
> admin's (but have been around and using linux since early 90's), could
> you provide us with a short list of what we should be looking at to
> monitor/manage memory? (More of an educational thingie.)
>
> When I run 'free' on a small 15 user system as an example, I see:
> Mem:        451172     449788       1384          0     121740      63036
> -/+ buffers/cache:     265012     186160
> Swap:       917496        320     917176
>
> which kind of implies that I should probably add mem to this box. Am I
> approaching this backasswards or drawing an incorrect conclusion?

Wrong conclusion. Run the command "vmstat 10" and check the si column.
If it deviates from 0 regularly, then I would suggest you need more
memory as you are then calling swapped out pages back into main memory.
You would probably see occasional pages in the so, but that should
just be very old and unused pages being swapped out.