[Asterisk-Users] Semi OT - SuperMicro config question for the Linux/Hardware jedi's - $50 bounty!

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Thu Dec 22 05:13:47 MST 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 10:10:02PM -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> That motherboard has an Adaptec/Marvell SATA controller, which does not
> have a open source driver in those distributions. There is an
> open-source driver in the very latest 2.6 kernel releases, but it won't
> be included in the installer kernels for any of those distros.
>
> You will either have to:
>
> A) use the Intel SATA controller and skip the Adaptec one until you get
> the distro up and running and can update the kernel
>
> B) build your own installer kernel using a more up-to-date kernel source
> tarball
>
> C) build a module you could load from a 'driver disk' for the distros
> that support them, using a backport of the open-source driver

D) (variant of (A)) Find a linux system that can boot (e.g: some latest
knoppix) and instsll the target distro from the current distro. Installing
from a running distro is a concept that Gentoo users are probably very
familiar with.
It is also officially supported (documented in the installation guide)
in Debian. I dont know about other distros.