[Asterisk-Users] Help Debugging Dropped Call Audio - Add'l Info

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Wed Dec 21 15:31:53 MST 2005

List users,

I have some additional information related to the dropped audio.  As
always, I'd appreciate any help interpreting it.

I set up an extension that calls the Milliwatt() application and is
digitally recorded by the Monitor() application.  Calls placed to it
don't result in any of the custom warning messages and produce
recordings free of skips/pops.  I know that the same code is being
executed, because it is also where the digital recordings are streamed
to file.

Therefore, it can be concluded that the problem lies somewhere in the
differences between a SIP to SIP call and a SIP to Asterisk (in this
case, the Milliwatt() application) call.  The most obvious of the
differences is that a SIP to SIP call involves two active SIP channels
that are bridged together.  A SIP to Asterisk call only involves one
active SIP channel.  I confirmed this by placing calls of both types and
observing the output of the "sip show channels" command in the CLI.

To confirm that it is not simply a matter of the number of active SIP
channels on the Asterisk server, I placed two simultaneous SIP to
Asterisk calls and observed that no custom warning messages were generated.

On a SIP to SIP call, a custom warning message is almost always
generated from the ast_read() function as soon as the callee picks up
the phone and the SIP channels are bridged.  The messages then appear
sporadically throughout the call, and there is often a final message
generated when the call is terminated.  Keep in mind, each of these
messages is indicative of a short drop in the call audio which can be
heard as a pop/click on the PCM format recording.

All of this leads me to believe that the problem dwells somewhere in the
code responsible for bridging the channels.  Does anyone have any ideas
as to the specific cause or the direction that I should go to further
pursue it?  I've heard that Asterisk's locking scheme is questionable,
but I don't know if that would apply to this scenario.

I'd still like to hear if anyone else has replicated the problem, as well.

Thanks,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer