[Asterisk-Users] dtmf problem

asterisk-users at ecessor.com asterisk-users at ecessor.com
Wed Dec 21 00:10:45 MST 2005

Bart,

We have has similar issues with BroadVoice in the past. From what I
understand they had problems with DTMF depending on which proxy you register
to. This is a bug that related to their session border controllers which
should have been resolved.

Looking at your config your first each account registers to a different BV
POP (the IP address is of the first is different to the second account).

Suggest the following course of action.

1. Try pinging each of the following BroadVoice POPs to find which is
closest to you.
proxy.nyc.broadvoice.com
proxy.dca.broadvoice.com
proxy.bos.broadvoice.com
proxy.chi.broadvoice.com
proxy.lax.broadvoice.com
proxy.mia.broadvoice.com

2. Change your /etc/hosts file to so that the IP of the nearest POP from the
list above is mapped to hostname sip.broadvoice.com

NOTE: They did have problems with their LAX POP for DTMF.

3. Change your config file so all host entries point to sip.broadvoice.com
instead of the 147.135.X.X IP address you're using at present! It make
easier to make a single change to the /etc/hosts file for testing in future.

4. Change your DTMF mode from inband to rfc2833. BroadVoice does support
out-of-band DTMF signalling, though their website is out of date.

i.e. dtmfmode=rfc2833

5. You may want to check that your second "register =>" statement is on a
new line in your config file! ;-)

We have out-of-band DTMF working properly across 6 separate BV accounts and
register to their proxy.nyc.broadvoice.com POP without problems.

As an FYI, BroadVoice also seem to unofficially support G729, iLBX and G726
codecs. If bandwidth is a problem I suggest trying out G726. We've been
using G726 instead of G711u for the past week and have been impressed with
the results

Regards

Neil/