[Asterisk-Users] IVR Capacity

Shawn Porter ivr_solutions at rogers.com
Tue Dec 20 14:47:24 MST 2005

Serge,

  How are you going to be building this server?  I am not going to claim to
be any sort of expert on
sizing, but I do have some experience as an IVR designer/developer.

In one of your previous posts you mention E1 cards.  In order to get 300
msgs at once you would need to
be running 10 E1s, is this reasonable?
How many questions are there in your survey, how long is an average call
going to take?
say you have 5 questions, and a complete call will take approx 2 minutes
allow for call-setup and call-breakdown - 15 sec
should allow for 26calls per hour per channel @ 30 channels = 780 calls hour
using just 1 E1
In this case you would only have, at maximum, 30 prompts playing at any one
time.  From what I have seen in this mailing
list there are servers out there doing a lot more than that (but I do not
know what the hardware is).

I have built systems running at that level of traffic using the Contarra IVR
platform and running on a P4-1.6GHz with 512MB on a dialogic card.
Surely an * box with a decent CPU & Memory can handle it no problem.

Now that I have gone stated all this for the world to criticize, please let
me know if I have made any critical mistakes/assumptions.

Shawn
P.S Contarra & Envox I know, Asterisk I am learning.