[Asterisk-Users] Re: New voicemail alert options for Cisco 7960 SIP phones

Ben Buxton bb.ast at ml.cactii.net
Tue Dec 20 05:12:33 MST 2005

Tim Connolly <tim at timsnet.com> uttered the following thing:
>    I'm looking for ideas on how to implement voicemail notification on
> Cisco 7960 SIP phones. Something like a light on the legacy pbx-phone
> would be perfect. Even maybe go so far as a quick ring to the extension
> every 15 minutes or so, but then that would increment the on-screen
> missed call count. How about a debug-test call where we telnet into the
> users phones, open a test call on speakerphone back to some extension
> which simply plays a soundfile like "You've got mail".

It's already got a message-waiting light which Asterisk fully supports.
Just make sure you've got a line of the form "mailbox=<blah>" in the
sip.conf file for the phone.

Then you can also program the 'message' button to go to your
voicemail check number.

Any new messages in that voicemailbox will cause the light to come on
(and automatically extinguish once checked).

BB