[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk <-> Skype anywhere/anyhow?

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Mon Dec 19 13:06:23 MST 2005

Mark Hulber wrote:
> The paper is definitely interesting and I commend them for their effort
> but it doesn't represent a complete understanding of the Skype protocol
> to the extent that an Asterisk server could speak the Skype protocol.
> They say that much of the Skype protocol is encrypted and needs to be
> inferred to this point from the types and locations of messages that are
> being sent.

So despite Skype's popularity they basically have their whole product
locked down.  It is greatly complex, and it also has a number of
"stealth" elements that do nasty things with accepted norms of network
etiquette.

The bottom line is: Skype *is* evil, and the Asterisk folks, for the
most part, have on the white hats of Open Source.

IMO we should steer 1000 miles clear of it.  Yah, yah, "everyone uses
Skype."  Well everyone uses Micro$oft, too.  That doesn't mean Asterisk
should get into bed with them.

B.