[Asterisk-Users] Re: Teliax billing question

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wsr+asterisk-users at lists.wsrcc.com
Mon Dec 19 11:13:02 MST 2005

>>     from: http://www.trac.org/news/2005/tracnotes-vol-3-22.html
>
> The scam isn't new, and its certainly not limited to home 800 numbers.
> The same basic principles were used by some of the 900 number folks
> a few years ago as well.

My fear wasn't that someone would stuff phony charges on my bill (like
charges for 900 calls that were never made).  I was more afraid of the
case where someone in bad faith war-dials the 800 number so they can
collect the 60-cent (???) per call payphone charge.  Will VOIP
providers let your dispute this charge because the calls were made in
bad-faith or is this simply a grin-and-bear it type situation?

I understand that within the PSTN there is a 2-bit value associated
with the class of phone that the call is placed from (normal,
payphone, prison-phone).  If voip/pstn gateways started passing this
on it might make it easier for folks to guard against payphone scams
by configuring their asterisk to only answer the 800 calls made from
normal residential phones.

-wolfgang
Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html