[Asterisk-Users] Sangoma E1 board Experience

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sun Dec 18 16:32:17 MST 2005

On Sunday 18 December 2005 18:01, Rich Adamson wrote:
> Spec sheets are available for the TigerJet 320 pci chipset as well as
> the Silcon Labs 3050, 3210 chip sets used on the TDM card. If you dig
> through those I think you'll find that it would difficult if not impossible
> to change the card's infrastructure since its based on the standards
> noted above.

You're still not answering his question.  :-)

The TJ320 has no buffering capability but the Silabs parts have nothing to do
with that, and neither do the framers on the higher-density TDM cards.  I
think his question is more "why don't these cards have bigger PCM buffers and
interrupt less often, or at least have deeper buffers so if an interrupt is
delayed I don't get overruns?"

I believe the answer lies in latency.  You do *not* want deeper buffers.
Better interrupt handlers, perhaps, but not any deeper buffering on the
hardware, as that just increases latency.

-A.