[Asterisk-Users] hint on Zap channels

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 21:47:39 MST 2005

On 12/16/05, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:
> C F wrote:
> > Kevin, I'm not sure this would work here, but maybe it would.
> > There was a bug posted about being able to use hint against local
> > channels, would that not help him?
> >
> > http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=5779&nbn=4
>
> No, the issue is that multiple ISDN devices are not distinct channels as
> far as Asterisk is concerned; they are all 'Zap/1' with different
> extensions behind that channel.

Kevin, I understood that. However, if that patch allows to create a
hint for the local channel no matter what extension that local channel
dials (which I'm not sure it does), then it is possilbe to do just
that, by creating hints for those extensions using the local channel,
and always dial those extensions only using the local channel.

> This is the same question as asking 'if I have a PRI connected to my
> Panasonic PBX, can I use hints for all the extensions on that PBX'. It
> won't work in Asterisk, because it's not aware of the actual endpoints,
> only the channel that connects to them.

Well, with my idea above it will, since you are dialing it using a
local channel. On inbound calls - from that other PBX to asterisk - it
could also be done with some DP magic, if that bug supports hints on
the local channels.