[Asterisk-Users] Can Asterisk replace Cisco 5350?

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Sat Dec 17 02:19:13 MST 2005

Linuxnizer The Mesmorizer a écrit :

> Hi,
>  We are using Cisco5350 as a gateway with 2 E1 cards (part#
> AS535-DFC-2CE1) to terminate calls. We need 2 more gateways, my
> question is can we save some money and use Asterisk + PCI E1 cards?

I've had the same issue lately. I need to set up a 4E1 / g.729 solution.

Asterisk way
========

- 4 asterisk boxes with 1 E1 card (approx $2k each)
- 120 g.729 licences ($1.2k)
- 1 SER box to dispatch the calls on the 4 asterisk boxes ($1k)

Total: 4 * 2 + 1.2 + 1 = 10.2

In the end, I went on voipsupply.com and saw that they offer Audiocodes
mediant 2000 (4 E1 version) for about $10k. Since this box also does SS7
(which is nice if you want to properly interconnect some day), can scale
up to 16 E1 and is conveniently packed in a 1U rackable unit, I have
decided to go with Audiocodes.

Since I am not set up yet, I can't tell wether it is a good decision or
not. I will let you know :)

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.