[Asterisk-Users] hint on Zap channels

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Dec 16 12:44:21 MST 2005

Francesco Peeters (Asterisk) wrote:

> I personally think this is a fault in (*). (Or rather Zaptel)

You are certainly welcome to your opinion, but thinking that Asterisk
should understand the concept of 'remote endpoints' as native devices is
by no means a 'fault'. If nobody has wanted this enough before to be
able to code it up and submit it, then it's just a lack of functionality.

> Because there is such a thing as ISDN, I think it should be able to
> recognize separate channels for DIDs...
> Both internal and external ZAP channels should be able to recognise the
> different DID/CID/CLID as separate identifiable endpoints. That way you
> can chose a 'channel' and have (*) use the correct CID/CLID.

And how would Asterisk know when these endpoints communicate directly
with each other to keep trace of device state?

It would certainly be possible to do what you want, but it would need to
be implemented by the Zaptel driver that is communicating with that ISDN
interface, so it can present distinct 'channels' to chan_zap for each
device on the ISDN bus.