[Asterisk-Users] Experience sharing on Planet VIP-450 + Asterisk

JP Carballo lists at netfone2x.com
Fri Dec 16 12:33:53 MST 2005

Jason Chan (jasonOfficial) wrote:

> What's next? Well... thanks to the buggy firmware and imcompatable
> standard with Asterisk...

> First of all, I can't deny that Planet VIP-450 does a good job in
> packetizing voice stream, the voice quality is really good and delay
> is really small. Also the hardware itself is quite robust, it seldom
> halt.. (the machine has been up for a few days). Also it is quite
> feature-rich, I can say. BUT I think there is quite a number of BUGS
> in the firmware!
> In order to see which kind of DTMF Relay it is using, I have done a
> packet analysing. When I try to pass SIP INFO type DTMF band to
> VIP-450, it replies "501 Unimplemented". Also when I try to pass DTMF
> from my POTS phone via the FXO port, only RTP payload can be seen in
> the packet captures. I DID suspect that it is RFC2833, because as far
> as I know RFC2833 did have the DTMF textx inside the RTP packet
> somewhere (seems header). But asterisk just simply did not regconize
> them (of coz I have set DTMFmode=rfc2833)! It is pretty strange that
> the user manual states "VIP handles DTMF Relay per SIP specification".
> So VIP-450 actually is using what kind of SIP specification?

Sounds familiar.See below.

> How about using its Inband DTMF relay? This will certainly generate
> strange warning just like my case : improper ilbc frame size and tell
> me to use u-law to do DTMF even if I AM using G.711 u-law. It is seems
> that the DTMF tone generated by VIP-450 generate is kinda strange...
> So the final solution is, SIMPLY SWITCH OFF THE DTMF RELAY IN VIP-450.
> Please try to type "show coding" in console mode and you will see a
> lot of coding (codec) profiles. Most of them are with DTMF relay. Just
> switch off them by "set coding <profile id> dtmf_relay off" (please
> check with the manual). If you want to stop certain codec, just simply
> make that coding profile unusable in voice. For example, "set coding
> <profile id> voice off". If youonly turn on the profile withu-law, the
> SIP header it issues will just consist of 0x4 (ulaw) codec, not 0x105.

This is what got my attention.Take a look at the commands that I use for
the Yoda VG-400. If I'm not mistaken, they're exactly the same for the
Planet.Same firmware libraries I presume.
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2005-August/120588.html
If you notice, I also set dtmf_relay off.Too bad you didn't post any
commands earlier, you would have saved a lot of time.

Looks like we should compare notes.

> In mypoint of view, Planet isexpectingthis deviceisconnected to
> another VIP-450, not really for Asterisk or anything else, even not
> fora soft phone. Certainly this is not enough for everyone, at leastI
> can't do any IVR and something what a PBX should have (just like what
> I can do in Asterisk). I hope my experience will help anyone who is
> using VIP-450 with Asterisk, just like me. I have done Googling for 3
> days but I can search for nothing related to this issue. Sorry for my
> poor written English.
> Cheers,
> Jason Chan, Hong Kong

This is exactly what Yoda wants as well. I remember planning to buy a
Planet unit during my love-hate relationship with Yoda and Asterisk but
I'm now glad I didn't. It seems I would have had to tackle the same
problems. I'm just happy the units I have work well. Thanks to Yoda's
support. They're set on GnuGK rather than Asterisk so it was a first for
me as well as them.

Xie Xie

--
JP Carballo

http://www.netfone2x.com
Bringing the world closer.

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level, I'm really quite busy.