[Asterisk-Users] sharing a line w/multiple extensions

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Dec 15 09:07:19 MST 2005

> > The traditional pbx vendors (back then) would "always" use the same words
> > that Kevin used, emphasizing the differences between key systems and
> > pbx's. However, many of the pbx manufacturers finally realized they
> > were loosing revenue due to those limitations, and began implementing
> > key-system-type functions in their pbx's. They were not trying to address
> > the key system market, but rather make their pbx products more valuable
> > from a user's perspective. Those that are influencing or controlling the
> > direction of asterisk haven't learned that lesson as yet, partially because
> > of the lack of functionality in the sip phones themselves and partially
> > because asterisk is being developed through the open source community
> > (limited development resources and no published long term plan).
> >
> > Those individuals that have worked towards developing the sip rfc standards
> > have recognized some of the key system vs pbx needs, and have added to
> > the sip standards. However, it takes a while for the sip phone manufacturers
> > (and voip pbx manufacturers) to implement those standards, and in some
> > cases, the manufacturers purposefully leave out certain functions in their
> > sip products to protect their investments in proprietary products.
> >
> > It certainly is not difficult to visualize how voip switching products
> > (such as asterisk or any of the commercial products) could be oriented
> > towards being a "switch" and address the needs of key systems, pbx's,
> > and central office switching in the same basic product. All of the same
> > functions are required in each case. Asterisk will get there, it will just
> > take a little longer since there isn't any published long term plan to
> > influence the short term development. (No offense intended to any asterisk
> > individual or group; just the nature of most open source development.)
> >
> > I can also assure you that several large companies (most of those company
> > names likely wouldn't be recognized by many of the readers here) are
> > watching the asterisk development closely, and likely are in fear of various
> > open source products negatively impacting their core business. They will
> > adjust their product development (and plans) in an effort to remain one
> > (or more) steps ahead from a "marketing & sales" perspective.
> >
> Thanks for the history on PBX and key systems.  History has a way of
> repeating itself.  I think Asterisk will have to implement features of a
> "key system" in the near future.  Just judging from the reaction from
> friends and family who are fascinated by my Asterisk installation, there
> is huge demand for this kind of system.  Digium is just losing out on sales.

Doubt they are losing much in sales. Sales of the digium cards are from
geeks (like many of us on this list) and small companies selling asterisk
into business accounts.

Most 'friends & family' wouldn't consider investing $1k for all the pieces
necessary to have a reasonable system (even if they could use a retired PC)
unless they're geeks as well.

> Is there an open source key system?  What other alternative systems are
> there?   How about OpenPBX?  Are they integrating any key system support?

Not that I'm aware of, but I don't try to keep track of competing projects
either.

There's sort of a dichotomy thing going on where most development folks
(whether its asterisk or some other I/T-type projects) are focused on
programming some function/features that are system oriented (eg, odbc,
sql support, echo cancellers, fax support, menues, jitterbuffers, architectural
changes, scipts); and, another group without programming skills that would
love to see additional basic pbx/key-system functions implemented that don't
require someone to jump through hoops in the dialplan. But, that's the
nature of open source projects.