[Asterisk-Users] sharing a line w/multiple extensions

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Thu Dec 15 06:48:33 MST 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 06:11:07AM -0600, Rich Adamson said:

> > > Asterisk is not a key system. It does not behave this way.
> > >
> > > What do you mean by 'another SIP phone can pick up (...) the
> > > conversation'? Exactly what would the SIP phone user do to accomplish
> > > that?
> > >
> > Think residential installation where someone picks up the phone in one
> > room but someone in another room wants to join the conversation.
> > Ideally, I'd like to have "Line 1" on every phone (SIP or analog) behave
> > this way.  Another poster pointed out a good potential approach using
> > meetme.  When an incoming call comes in, it dials all SIP + analog
> > phones.  When someone picks up (don't know how I can detect this), it
> > could transfer both parties to a meetme room.  When additional
> > extensions pickup, they go to the meetme room.  When everyone hangs up,
> > the call ends.  Can this be done?
>
> There might be a way for you to address your objective depending upon
> exactly what you're trying to do.
>
> The previous responses to your question _assume_ that each room in
> your case has a pbx extension (regardless of whether its a sip or analog
> phone). If their assumption is correct, then the responses are correct.
>
> However, if you want to use your existing analog phones and you group
> them together, several analog phones "can" share a single extension
> and those phones in the group can pick up and join the conversation
> whenever they want. Think in terms of using something like a Sipura
> sip adapter (or the equivalent from other vendors), and connecting all
> analog phones within your defined group to the rj11 analog jack of
> the adapter.

One system I found that works well in a "home" environment is using a
two-line, multi-handset cordless phone system. Run 2 analog ports to the
base station, and this handles most home needs. Two users can make or
receive calls, join existing calls, etc rather easily. The dial plan is
set so that either "line" makes outgoing calls over a VoIP service, line
2, or whatever, so that the main incoming line is always available to
receive calls.

The home office has a Polycom 601 with it's own lines and dial plan
logic, plus the fact that the polycom user is much more likely to
know how to answer, transfer, park, etc.

"Wife proofing" a * system is non-trivial and takes careful planning.