[Asterisk-Users] asterisk in real estate developments

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Tue Dec 13 20:53:04 MST 2005

been there done that

The biggest problems that we have had to deal with is stability. Stability
with respect to system stability and also stability of the user.  System
stability is extremely difficult to deal with when you have poor power,
power outages, guys pressing the buttons next to the blinkenlights because
they are curious (very difficult to control access to gear in a construction
trailer when everything is set up ad-hoc) and users doing stupid things like
moving their phone from their desk to another guys desk for god-knows-why
reason then not plugging into the cat5 cable. Then the users tend to say
that your phone system is shit, when these types of problems are largely
beyond your control.

As to user stability, I don't refer to mental stability, I refer to churn.
Staff churn in the construction industry is brutal and combined with the
relative unsophistication of people in the construction industry, it's the
Training Session That Will Never End.

My evolution of how to deal with this problem has gone from broadband to a
construction trailer, wifi and wired sip phones, to masking a user's cell
number behind a DID and cutting airtime with a GSM gateway. Really, it's the
best way, treating cell phones as "extensions". Masking the cell number
behind a DID allows me to get the audio inside of Asterisk so I can do
VoIP-y things with it, the GSM gateway adds very little incremental cost (a
4 port GSM gateway adds only, for us, $100 Cdn a month to our cell costs and
saves us $2-3k a month at 25c / min) and there's not too much of a training
issue, since these blockheads grock their cell phones already. We even have
4 digit extension dialling from office staff to cells, and call transfer
from the cell. MWI and inbound fax reception notification is done via SMS
(each DID can recieve faxes, and the fax goes to the user's email, thanks
SpanDSP!). Overflow when the gateway is full goes out our PRI, and we eat
the airtime, but that's a good thing because if the GSM gateway is full, we
are saving money.